- 1 cup onion (big chunks)
- 4 carrots
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 orange kabocha squash (or butternut), deseeded and chopped (skin on)
- 1 large peeled parsnip
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or vegetable broth for sauté
- 1 1/2 or 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 6 cups vegetable broth, or more if desired
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Black pepper to taste
- Parsley sprigs for garnish
- Chop all of your vegetables into large chunks. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat (or use vegetable broth).
- Add the onion and a pinch of sea salt. Cook and stir for 5 minutes, or until the onions begin to caramelize.
- Add the remaining vegetables and vegetable broth to cover them. Bring to boil over medium high heat. Cover and reduce the heat to simmer on low for about 30 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.
- Add the sea salt and puree with an immersion blender until creamy and smooth (or carefully pour small batches into a blender to puree).
- Add the nutmeg and black pepper and stir it through. Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley.