This is the perfect banana bread recipe: dense, moist, and packed with banana, cinnamon, and walnuts.
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
⅓ cup sugar (or a combination of maple sugar and coconut sugar)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
⅓ cup oil (I use a combination of avocado oil and refined coconut oil)
1¾ cups white whole wheat flour
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus extra for the top
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup walnuts, chopped
Additional options: ½ cup chocolate chips or raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottom and the sides of an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- Place the mashed bananas in a big bowl. Add the sugar, vanilla, and oil. Stir well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk to blend together.
- Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Then fold in the walnuts and any other additions.
- Pour the banana bread batter into the loaf pan and add a little extra cinnamon on top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top springs back to the touch.
- Let it cool before slicing.