- 1 cup fresh maitake mushrooms, or ½ cup dried
- 2 celery stalks, cut into big chunks
- ½ cup fresh burdock root, cut into pieces (or ¼ cup dried burdock)
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- a small bunch parsley (you can leave the stems on)
- 2 to 3 cups winter squash, cut in big chunks
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root slices
- ½ large onion, cut into big chunks
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms (or 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms)
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ gallon water
- 2 cloves garlic
This vegetable broth can be made in an Instant Pot, pressure cooker or regular soup pot.
- For Instant Pot or pressure cooker: Place all ingredients in the Instant Pot or a large pressure cooker. Place the lid on your pressure cooker or Instant Pot and bring to full pressure on high heat. After 15 minutes, remove the pot from the heat and let the pressure reduce naturally. Strain out the ingredients by pouring the broth through a strainer into a large bowl. Remove the lid and cool completely before pouring into tall glass mason jars.
- Regular soup pot: Place all ingredients in a large soup pot. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to simmer on low for 1 hour. Remove from heat. Strain out the ingredients by pouring the broth through a strainer into a large bowl. Cool before pouring into glass mason jars.
- Store the vegetable broth in covered jars in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days, or freeze for up to 4 months.