- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 ½ tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 large or 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the sesame oil and garlic. Cook and stir for 1 minute, just until a little golden but do not overcook it.
- Add the arrowroot and cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually add the almond milk and whisk to avoid lumps. Add the vegetable broth and whisk again. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. This sauce can be pureed in a blender if you want a really smooth consistency.
- Lightly oil an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish. Place a layer of half of the sliced potatoes. Cover with ⅓ of the sauce and sprinkle evenly with two tablespoons of the vegan parmesan cheese. Top with the other half of the sliced potatoes arranged in a pretty pattern. Cover with remaining sauce, making sure that all of the potatoes are covered with the sauce. Sprinkle with the rest of the vegan parmesan cheese and the paprika.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the finished scalloped potatoes sit at room temperature. Serve hot.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!