Did you know that you can cook up classic recipes like scalloped potatoes without any dairy? It’s easy to replace traditional ingredients with plant-based ones. This tasty Vegan Scalloped Potatoes recipe is low in fat but you would never know it. Don't wait for the holidays to make this special dish. It's easy enough for weeknight dinners!
If you want, feel free to use sweet potatoes in place of the white potatoes. I've even used thinly sliced butternut squash or parsnips and it tastes great!
Ingredients for Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
Simple ingredients make this dish a winner. You should be able to find all of these ingredients at your local grocery store.
- The milk - I used unsweetened almond milk, but if you have nut allergies oat milk can be used instead.
- Potatoes - I chose Yukon Gold, but red-skinned potatoes will work too.
- The cheese - I used the Parma! brand vegan parmesan but any dairy-free parmesan will work. You can even make your own dairy-free parmesan! Simply mix together ¼ cup of blanched almond meal with ¼ teaspoon sea salt and a teaspoon of nutritional yeast.
- Spice: Nutmeg adds a nice peppery touch. You can also use black pepper for a little kick. And paprika adds a pretty touch to the top.
- Thickener: Choose from arrowroot or cornstarch to nicely thicken your milk.
- Salt: To me, potatoes just don't taste right without a touch of salt. I love the Redmond brand sea salt. (Save 15% off Redmond Sea Salt using this code - "NaturalKitchen")
Making the Sauce
Making a creamy, smooth sauce for your potatoes is easy. First you'll want to heat some sesame oil in a saucepan. Then add the garlic and cook it for just a minute. Add the arrowroot and stir it around for a bit, then gradually stir in your dairy-free milk using a whisk. Next you'll add your vegetable broth. Personally I love the flavor of homemade broth. I make it a habit to keep a jar of this around every week. But store-bought works too. After cooking the sauce for 4 minutes or so, you will have a gorgeous, thick and creamy sauce!
Layer the potatoes
In the photo below you see my lovely top layer of potatoes, but underneath it the potatoes were not so fancy! I just spread an even layer of them, but in no particular order. They get covered with ⅓ of the sauce and a little vegan parmesan. So nobody will even see them. The next layer is where you want to make them look pretty, then top it off with the remaining sauce and vegan parmesan. A little paprika will add the finishing touch! There you have it, ready for the oven. Just cover it with some foil before popping it in a 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 40 minutes to get that nice golden topping. While I don't expect you to have many leftovers, this will store well in the refrigerator for up to three days. Just be sure to cover it. In fact, I like to use baking dishes that have covers to make it easy. Natural Kitchen Cooking School, LLC participates in the Amazon Associate program. This means that we may receive a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Thank you for your support of the work we do here at Natural Kitchen Cooking School!Print
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 ½ tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 large or 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the sesame oil and garlic. Cook and stir for 1 minute, just until a little golden but do not overcook it.
- Add the arrowroot and cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually add the almond milk and whisk to avoid lumps. Add the vegetable broth and whisk again. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. This sauce can be pureed in a blender if you want a really smooth consistency.
- Lightly oil an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish. Place a layer of half of the sliced potatoes. Cover with ⅓ of the sauce and sprinkle evenly with two tablespoons of the vegan parmesan cheese. Top with the other half of the sliced potatoes arranged in a pretty pattern. Cover with remaining sauce, making sure that all of the potatoes are covered with the sauce. Sprinkle with the rest of the vegan parmesan cheese and the paprika.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the finished scalloped potatoes sit at room temperature. Serve hot.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!
If you like this recipe, then you might also enjoy:
Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus or these delicious vegan Mashed Potatoes. This healthy Loaded Sweet Potatoes is another recipe that you can serve for your family!
Is there an oil free method
Christine Waltermyer says
Yes, you could substitute a small amount of water or vegetable broth for the oil used in this recipe. I hope this helps.