This make-ahead plant-based Brown Rice Porridge with Apple-Pear Compote is exactly the whole-grain breakfast you need to start your day on a healthy note. Bonus: it’s a perfect vegan meal prep recipe!
Let’s face it: mornings can be stressful and rushed. Especially with kids, it can be nearly impossible to make sure everyone gets a healthy breakfast to hold them over until lunch that’s not packed with sugar.
I first started making this delicious, creamy plant-based porridge with brown rice and apple-pear compote to ensure my family gets a hearty, fiber-rich meal even on the busiest mornings. And with the naturally sweet fruit compote on top, everyone’s sweet tooth is satisfied, no refined sugar necessary.
How to Meal Prep Easy Brown Rice Porridge
This recipe is as easy to make as it is delicious. And the best part? It’s perfect for meal prep. You can whip up a big batch of brown rice breakfast porridge. The recipe below serves one, but is easy to double or even triple. Then, enjoy a healthy and fiber-rich breakfast all week long.
The unique part about this breakfast cereal recipe is that you will mash the rice after cooking. This step results in creamy, spoonable porridge. The rice is ready to be mashed when it’s tender and soft, after about 20 minutes of simmering in water.
When the brown rice is cooked, use a potato masher to gently press the grains. You want a soft and creamy consistency. And there you have it: creamy plant-based breakfast porridge to enjoy all week long.
How to Store and Reheat Brown Rice Hot Cereal
Store your homemade porridge in the fridge in an airtight container. It will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
To reheat the porridge for breakfast, the porridge can be slowly warmed in a small saucepan on the stovetop over low heat, stirring regularly. However, if you find that the porridge is especially thick when you’re reheating, add a splash more water or your favorite plant-based milk as you heat.
Quick Homemade Apple-Pear Compote to Top Brown Rice Porridge
Apple-Pear Compote elevates homemade brown rice porridge by adding a healthy, naturally sweet flavor enhancer. This compote is so simple to pull off that you might find yourself making a big batch and adding it to everything!
If you love homemade Apple-Pear Compote, don’t stop at breakfast porridge. Spread a dollop on top of toast, mix it into yogurt, or end the day with a scoop of vanilla ice cream topped with homemade compote!
You can even make your own plant-based vanilla ice cream with this recipe from Loving it Vegan.
Why a Grain-Based Breakfast is The Healthiest Option
Starting your day with a hearty whole-grain breakfast like plant-based brown rice porridge will give you a head start in the health department. Whole grains keep you full longer. So you’ll stay satiated all morning without turning to an unhealthy or processed snack. Unlike refined grains or white flour, whole grain cereal won’t cause a surge in your blood sugar. That means no crash either.
As much as possible, reach for fiber-rich breakfast options like brown rice cereal to get your days off on a healthy note. Bonus if your breakfast is also homemade!
More Satisfying Plant-Based Breakfast Recipes to Meal Prep Today
Ultimately, there are dozens of recipes for whole-grain, plant-based breakfasts to set you up for success. Here are some of my favorites:
- Vegan Butternut Squash Pancakes with Cherry Compote combine naturally sweet butternut squash with heart-healthy cherries to make healthy pancakes that happen to be gluten-free.
- Whole Wheat Vegan Waffles from Love and Lemons are crispy, packed with whole grains and have a lovely tang from lemon juice.
- This DIY recipe for Healthy Whole Grain Granola from Fit Foodie Finds makes it easy to mix and match your favorite cold breakfast cereal.
Plant-Based Brown Rice Porridge with Apple-Pear Compote
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 1 Serving 1x
Make a big batch of creamy plant-based brown rice porridge to start every morning with healthy whole grains.
- 1 pear, cored and chopped
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus extra for drizzling
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, plus more to taste
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup water
- Small handful of walnuts, chopped
- Make the Apple-Pear Compote. Place the chopped apple and pear in a small pot with a pinch of sea salt. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon. Bring to a gentle boil, then lower to a simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the brown rice porridge. In a separate small saucepan, bring the brown rice and water to a boil over medium-high heat, covered. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or so, tilting the lid to avoid boiling over.
- When the rice is finished, use a potato masher to partly mash the rice and transfer to a bowl. Top with your desired amount of apple-pear compote and walnuts, adding extra maple syrup if you wish.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for meal prep.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
Leave a Reply