When it comes to making homemade skincare products, I prefer to use things I already have in the kitchen. I like using edible ingredients because I like treating my skin the same way I treat the rest of my body: by giving it good, healthy food. This easy DIY face mask made with matcha green tea powder is one of the best DIY beauty products for this time of the year. It has the power to transform your skin and make you look great and feel even better.
WHAT IS MATCHA?
Matcha is a green tea powder made from the naturally dried and crushed leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. Although this plant is used to produce all types of commonly enjoyed tea, the difference lies in the processing. The leaves are never heated and their minimal processing means their nutrient and antioxidant content is better preserved.
For centuries, matcha has been used during chanoyu, a traditional Japanese tea ceremony. It has recently gained popularity in the US because of its numerous health benefits. Unlike regular tea, the entire leaf of the plant is consumed when it comes to matcha tea powder. As a result, you get more health benefits from the beverage, including vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber.
SKIN BENEFITS OF MATCHA
Matcha green tea powder gets its vibrant green hue from the high amount of chlorophyll it contains. Chlorophyll is essential for photosynthesis, the chemical reaction that occurs in plants where sunlight is transformed into energy.
Interestingly enough, chlorophyll can protect our skin from sun damage and reduce photoaging. Also, chlorophyll protects our skin by shielding it from impurities and chemicals in our environment that could potentially clog our pores.
Matcha powder also has great antibacterial and antibiotic properties, thanks to the presence of epigallocatechin-3-gallate (or EGCG for short). This antioxidant promotes smoother and more supple skin due to its ability to rejuvenate skin cells and support skin structure.
Because of its high vitamin K content, matcha green tea powder also has the power to reduce puffiness, skin inflammation, and dark, under-eye circles.
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make this easy DIY face mask:
- Matcha green tea powder
- Manuka honey
- Rose essential oil
- Aloe vera gel
- Rosehip seed oil
- Vitamin E oil
- Matcha green tea powder: Not only is matcha rich in antioxidants, but the powder also has anti-bacterial and antibiotic properties. In fact, the antioxidants help to rejuvenate skin cells, reduce fine lines, and promote smooth, supple skin.
- Manuka honey: The anti-inflammatory effect of Manuka honey can decrease local inflammation caused by acne. As an antibacterial, Manuka honey leaves fewer bacteria to infect pores and cause acne.
- Aloe vera gel: An excellent natural moisturizer. Aloe also stimulates the production of hyaluronic acid, collagen, and elastin fibers in the skin—all of which are necessary to keep skin hydrated, firm, and supple.
- Rosehip seed oil: A powerhouse for the skin because it contains lots of complexion-brightening vitamin C, vitamin A via carotenoids, and may even have some protective properties against ultraviolet light.
STEP 1: MIX THE PASTE
In a small bowl or container, combine the matcha green tea powder, Manuka honey, rose essential oil, aloe vera gel, rosehip seed oil, and vitamin E oil.
Stir together until you have a thick, dark green, goopy paste. Transfer to a clean, completely dry jar.
Note: It's always best to test out new skincare regimens on your arm before you go in full force on your face as your skin can react unpredictably to new products. So test this easy DIY face mask on a small patch of your inner arm and make sure there are no adverse reactions.
STEP 2: APPLY TO FACE
Wet your face with warm water.
Use a face mask brush or a silicone brush to evenly spread the mask over your whole face and neck. Avoid the eye area and mouth. If it’s sticky and hard to apply, simply re-wet your face for a smoother application.
STEP 3: RINSE AND MOISTURIZE
Let the mask sit for 15-20 minutes.
Using a soft cloth and warm water, wash off the mask.
Follow with a spritz of your favorite toner and moisturizer.
Enjoy your fresh, glowing skin!
MATCHA GREEN TEA FACE MASK VARIATIONS
- To hydrate your skin. Combine a tablespoon of colloidal oatmeal, two tablespoons of yogurt, and a teaspoon of matcha powder and mix well. Apply to your face and leave to penetrate for 15 minutes before rinsing clean.
- To detoxify your skin. Mix ½ teaspoon of matcha powder with ½ teaspoon of bentonite clay, 2 teaspoons of honey, 2 teaspoons of witch hazel, and 3 drops of lemongrass essential oil. Next, apply to the face, avoiding the eyes and mouth. Let it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
- To revitalize your skin. Mix 1 tablespoon of sour cream, ½ tablespoon of matcha tea powder, and 1 teaspoon of honey. Apply it to your face and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- To exfoliate your skin. Mix ½ teaspoon of matcha powder with 1 teaspoon of brown sugar. Add just enough olive oil to get the consistency of wet sand. Gently exfoliate your face for about 5 minutes and then leave it on for another 10-15 minutes. Wash off with a gentle cleanser.
- For a purifying face steam. Boil 3 cups of water, remove from the heat and add 2 bags of matcha tea and a few slices of an orange. Let it sit covered for 10-15 minutes before placing your face above the pot. Cover your head with a big towel and stay like that for 10-15 minutes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do you make a simple face mask?
A simple face mask is made from simple ingredients that you can find in your kitchen or home. For example, you can make face masks from oatmeal, avocados, coconut oil, honey, green tea, milk, yogurt, or aloe.
Which homemade face mask is best?
The best homemade face mask does what it’s supposed to do and is made from ingredients selected by the person who knows your skin best: you. For example, a hydrating DIY face mask should not leave your skin dry, and an exfoliating face mask should slough away dead skin and remove any surface debris that could be clogging your pores.
How do you make a cheap face mask?
You can make a cheap face mask using ingredients you have in your fridge or pantry.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with us through social media by following us on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!Print
Matcha Green Tea Face Mask
Give your skin some TLC with this DIY matcha green tea face mask. Made with natural, nourishing ingredients that will leave your skin glowing.
1 tbsp. of matcha green tea powder
3 tbsp. of Manuka honey
2 drops of rose essential oil
1 tsp. of aloe vera gel
1 tsp. of rosehip seed oil
1-2 drops of vitamin E oil
Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl or container.
Apply to face (avoiding the eye area) and neck.
Wait for 15 minutes.
Rinse off, tone and moisturize.
MORE DIY SELF-CARE RECIPES:
- First, try my 5 home remedies to help you feel better faster.
- Also, have a go at my homemade saline nasal spray when your sinuses get dry.
- Finally, try my natural, homemade tick repellent that is made from all-natural ingredients and smells great.
Natural Kitchen Cooking School, LLC participates in the Amazon Associate program. This means that we may receive a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Thank you for your support of the work we do here at Natural Kitchen Cooking School!
Leave a Reply