French Toast is such an easy and delicious healthy breakfast, but you may not know how to make French Toast without milk or eggs.
Fortunately, it’s easy!
All you need is some good quality sourdough bread, along with some bananas to substitute for the eggs, almond milk instead of regular milk, and then the usual cinnamon, vanilla, salt and oil for frying.
I told you it was easy.
This is such a fun thing to make on the weekends. I love making it with my daughter, and leftovers even make a mild dessert.
You can top your vegan French toast with pure maple syrup as a healthy sweetener, and add some sliced almonds for protein. A shake of some organic powdered sugar always makes a nice touch. And feel free to add some fresh berries for color, or a fruit compote like this easy refined sugar-free pear-cherry compote.
Just because you’re avoiding eggs or dairy doesn’t mean you have to miss out on comfort food like French toast. And when you make this version, there’s no cholesterol either for those of you who have to watch your cholesterol.
This recipe makes about 5 or 6 slices. Here are the steps to making some of the best darn French toast ever, vegan or not!
How to Make Vegan French Toast
Besides the ingredients I mentioned above, you’ll also need a few kitchen tools. You need a good sized skillet, either cast iron or non-stick/ceramic. To blend the banana mixture to coat the bread I used a stainless steel cup and an immersion blender (also known as stick blender). But you can just use a regular blender as well.
The first step is the blend together the banana, almond milk, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Then pour that in a shallow glass dish. Next add the slices of bread and turn them a few times to really coat them in the banana mixture. Then you’re ready to heat your skillet over medium high heat.
If you’re using a non-stick skillet be sure to adequately ventilate your kitchen to avoid breathing in any fumes. Personally I don’t own any non-stick pans because of the controversy of how safe it is to heat teflon. But I know you might prefer to use that type of pan so just adding this safety tip for those of you who do use them for cooking.
Back to the French toast!
Here are a few ingredient notes I also wanted to mention so that you can really have great results when making this healthy breakfast option!
Ingredient Notes for Vegan French Toast
- I recommend using pure maple syrup to top off your French toast, rather than using maple flavored syrup. If cost is an issue you can sometimes find it cheaper in big jugs at discount stores. I often buy mine at Walmart!
- Get the best quality bread possible. I like to use sourdough bread that has only a few ingredients: usually flour, salt and sourdough starter.
- If you have a nut allergy feel free to skip the sliced almonds and substitute coconut milk or another nondairy milk for the almond milk.
- I just used cinnamon but feel free to add a pinch of nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice for variety!
- You’ll want to use bananas that are on the riper side rather than greenish ones.
- For the oil I recommend a high heat oil such as avocado oil. Refined coconut oil can work too.
- The thickness of the bread is key. Be sure to use thick slices so they hold up texture-wise.
Vegan French Toast for a Breakfast that will Start Your Day Right!
This easy vegan French toast is total comfort food! Simply use banana to thicken up the batter, dip your sourdough bread and fry it up. It’s fun to make and satisfying for the whole family.
- 1 banana, sliced
- 5–6 slices sourdough bread, cut into ¾-inch slices
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- A few pinches sea salt
- Avocado oil, for frying
For Presentation: Your favorite vegan butter, sliced almonds, maple syrup, powdered
- Place the banana in a stainless steel cup (if using a stick blender) or a regular blender. Add the almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Meanwhile place the bread in a shallow glass dish and add the banana mixture, evenly coating both sides. You can let it soak for a little while.
- Add enough avocado oil to coat the bottom of the heated skillet. Add a few slices of the soaked bread. Fry on each side for a few minutes, until lightly browned. If it sticks add extra oil. Be sure to avoid the French toast overcooking by checking frequently.
- Transfer to a plate, add a few pats of your favorite butter, some maple syrup and a light sprinkle of powdered sugar if you wish, along with some sliced almonds.
- Category: Breakfast
Keywords: breakfast, easy breakfast, vegan breakfast, French toast, vegan French toast, dairy free, egg free, healthy breakfast
Leave a Reply