What can you make with melons? Melon Salad! Colorful balls of various melons take on a delicious flavor when combined with fresh lime juice.
I've never actually loved the taste of just plain melon. But I found that with just a few flavor additions simple melon can become a delicious dessert. So if you've been wondering what goes well with melon, I'm going to share my secret with you.
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It's so darn pretty. I'm always delighted when I look at this finished recipe. It's got three different colors of melons shaped into little balls dotted with dark green mint. Gorgeous!
- Easy. No cooking required here, so the only effort is just forming the little melon balls. Using a handy melon ball scooper makes this effortless.
- Refreshing. Unlike baked desserts which can be hard to digest, this melon salad is hydrating and easy on digestion with its high moisture content. Served chilled it's so refreshing on a hot day.
- Family-friendly. Kids and grownups alike will enjoy this recipe. If your little ones aren't fond of the mint just keep it on the side for those who like it.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this luscious melon salad:
- Honeydew Melon
- Sea salt
- Maple Syrup
- Watermelon. Watermelon is low in calories and sugar and chock-full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, making it a great addition to a healthy diet. It contains lycopene, citrulline, and vitamins A and C. Studies suggest that watermelon is heart healthy and can reduce inflammation.
- Honeydew Melon. Honeydew melons provide fiber and several essential micronutrients, including vitamin C and potassium, making them a nutritious addition to your meal plans.
- Cantaloupe. Cantaloupe is a refreshing and healthful fruit that is at its best in the summer. It provides hydration with its high water content, as well as minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants such as Vitamin A. Hello gorgeous skin!
- Mint. Mint leaves are known to stimulate digestive enzymes. They add a nice flavor to the melon, making the salad extra fresh tasting.
HOW TO MAKE MELON SALAD WITH MINT: STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS
STEP 1: PREPARE THE MELONS
Use a melon ball scoop to create little balls from each of the melons. Place them in a large bowl.
STEP 2: MAKE THE CITRUS DRESSING
Make the citrus dressing: In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, lime juice, sea salt, honey and mint. Whisk together.
STEP 3: MIX IT ALL TOGETHER
Pour over the melon balls and gently toss until evenly coated. You can serve right away or chill before serving. If you refrigerate it, stir the salad again just before serving.
- Sweet and Juicy. When picking your cantalope or any other melons, find the blossom end (opposite the stem) and take a sniff. It should smell sweet and slightly musky.
- Picking your melons. Don't buy melons with cuts, bruises or blemishes. Look for firm, smooth skin with a yellow ground spot on the watermelon.
- Weight of melons. If you hold two melons of the same size and one feels heavier, choose that one. The heavier melon will be tastier and more ripe.
- Mix it up. My recipes are always adaptable. In place of mint free free to add chopped peeled ginger root or ginger powder for a different flavor profile.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What goes well with melon?
Melon pairs well with an array of ingredients such as blueberries, strawberries, fresh basil, vanilla, blackberry, lemongrass, citrus, cucumber, cilantro, ginger, and mint. Sea salt actually brings out even more sweetness.
What can you make with melons?
The options are endless! Try making salsa, aqua fresca, soups, pickled melon, salads, smoothies, and grilled melon. Eating melon plain is great, but there are a lot of melon recipes that will prove how culinarily adaptable and interesting melon can be.
What do you sprinkle on melon?
Since watermelons, cantaloupes, and honeydews are sweet they pair well with salt, vinegar, and even cheese.
How many calories are in a melon salad?
There are roughly 84 calories in 1 cup of a melon salad like this.
Can dogs eat watermelon?
Yes, watermelon is a healthy treat choice for your dog. Just be sure to remove those seeds!
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with us through social media by following us on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!Print
HOW TO USE FRUITS IN RECIPES
- Try my fruit salsa with cinnamon pita chips recipe. The sweet and warm flavors of the cinnamon pita chips and colorful fruit salsa will make this your new favorite version of chips and salsa.
- You will love this easy jackfruit tacos recipe that is so tasty and takes less than 10 minutes to make.
- This poached pears recipe is delightfully elegant and too delicious for words!
- Try a cold glass of healthy mango smoothie!
Natural Kitchen Cooking School, LLC participates in the Amazon Associate program. This means that we may receive a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Thank you for your support of the work we do here at Natural Kitchen Cooking School!