Deviled eggs are nutritious as a snack or party appetizer. In this post I'm sharing with you my best deviled eggs recipe, deviled eggs with relish. It's one my mom always made regularly, and it's a crowd pleaser!
It can be hard to find the right deviled eggs recipe. Sometimes the filling is too runny or the eggs don't have enough flavor. But this recipe is just right, with a touch of pickle relish. This is a deviled eggs recipe southern style!
WHY WE LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It's family friendly. Kids and grownups alike love deviled eggs as a healthy appetizer or easy lunch recipe.
- Easy. With a handful of ingredients, this recipe comes together in no time!
- Different. The addition of pickle relish adds a unique touch. Using smoked paprika in place of regular paprika adds a nice flavor as well.
- Meal prep-friendly. I love to make a big batch of these and have them on hand in the fridge. They are so convenient once prepared.
Here’s what you’ll need to make deviled eggs with relish:
- Dijon mustard
- Sweet pickle relish
- Sea salt and white pepper
- Smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
- Fresh chives
- Mayonnaise. I like to use this coconut oil-based mayonnaise, but avocado oil mayo works well too. The mayo makes the egg yolk filling nice and creamy.
- Dijon Mustard. Mustard contains vinegar, and vinegar is a classic ingredient in deviled eggs. Dijon mustard adds a nice tangy flavor to deviled eggs with relish.
- Sweet Pickle Relish. You can use unsweetened dill relish if you prefer, but I love that touch of sweetness in deviled eggs.
- Fresh Herbs. I love that pretty pop of green sprinkled over the eggs. Typical herbs used to garnish deviled eggs include chives, parsley or dill sprigs. For a twist cilantro might be nice to try, though I haven't used it myself.
HOW TO MAKE DEVILED EGGS WITH RELISH: STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS
STEP 1: COOK THE EGGS
Place eggs in a single layer in a medium saucepan. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat, and let stand for 12 minutes.
STEP 2: ICE BATH
While the eggs are cooking, fill a bowl with cold water and ice. When the eggs have finished cooking, use a mesh strainer to scoop the eggs out and place them in the ice bath.
STEP 3: PEEL THE EGGS
To peel the eggs, tap each egg on the wide end until it cracks. Peel under cold running water, using a small spoon to help remove the shell.
STEP 4: SLICE THE EGGS
Slice the peeled eggs in half lengthwise. Carefully remove the yolks. Place the yolks in a small bowl.
STEP 5: MASH THE YOLKS
Mash lightly with a fork. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, pickle relish, sea salt, and white pepper. Stir well.
STEP 6: CUT THE EGGS
Carefully spoon the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites. Feel free to use a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip to make a fancy shape. Garnish with the smoked paprika and optional chopped chives.
- Perfect hard boiled egg. Let the eggs stand in hot water about 12 minutes for large eggs (9 minutes for medium eggs, 15 minutes for extra large).
- Easier to peel. Cool the eggs quickly in the ice bath, then roll them gently to make lots of cracks in the shell before peeling.
- Try vinegar in place of sweet relish. Many recipes call for adding vinegar to the egg yolk filling. Pickle relish contains vinegar so if you're adding this ingredient there's no need to add the vinegar. But if you don't have any pickle relish, try adding a teaspoon or so of vinegar to add that tang to the recipe.
- Mustard. Adding Dijon mustard to the egg yolk filling adds another layer of flavor. It contains vinegar for tartness and the mustard seeds add pungency as well.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What can you substitute for mayo for in deviled eggs?
You can swap the mayo in deviled eggs by using sour cream, plain yogurt or creme fraiche. Any of these options provides a similar creaminess and tangy flavor.
What makes a deviled egg deviled?
“Deviled” is a culinary term from the 1700's. A deviled food meant that it was either spicy or had lots of condiments mixed into it.
Why do you add vinegar to deviled eggs?
Vinegar adds a touch of acidity to the egg yolk filling. This results in a light, moist filling which balances the creamy richness that the mayo adds.
What do they call deviled eggs in England?
These tasty treats are referred to as deviled eggs in the UK, just like we do here in the US. They're known as dressed eggs, eggs mimosa, stuffed eggs, and angel eggs in other parts of the world.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with us through social media by following us on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!Print
HOW TO USE EGGS IN RECIPES
- This easy carrot cake recipe is to die for!
- Homemade lemon meringue pie with a delicious crust, tart and smooth lemon filling, and fluffy toasted meringue topping.
- These yummy egg muffin cups are a simple and portable option that's full of protein to keep your kids full until lunch.
Natural Kitchen Cooking School, LLC participates in the Amazon Associate program. This means that we may receive a small commission for purchases made through links in this post. Thank you for your support of the work we do here at Natural Kitchen Cooking School!